Goat farming in Maharashtra is quite profitable. the goat has served as a useful purpose to people of Maharashtra from old times to today. In Maharashtra goats are reared by all the three methods Extensive, Semi-Intensive or Intensive (commercial) method.
Nowadays commercial goat farming is growing day by day because it needs low initial investment and profit ranges high in it. Goat is an important source of meat, milk, skin, and manure. Maharashtra is an agriculture-dominated state so goat farming plays a major role due to availability of green and dry fodder, goats help a farmer in income generation in some dry region.
In recent years, some commercial goat farms in Maharashtra have emerged in providing substantial income to the progressive farmers.
Goat plays an important and vital role in providing nutritive food to families both in rural and urban areas of Maharashtra.
There are varying situations of agro-climate and socio-economic background of individual farmers wherein goat farming is a chief occupation among the farmers in Maharashtra. Goat can live in a limited area of grazing and it is the key role of semi-intensive Goat farming in Maharashtra.
Advantages of goat farming in Maharashtra
- There is a huge demand for goat meat (chevon) in Maharashtra, people of Maharashtra love to eat goat meat in comparison to other meat. Therefore the price of per kg goat meat hiking day by day.
- Maharashtra is an agriculture-dominated state and the goat manure is used as a fertilizer to fertile the farm. It is a part of income generation in goat farming. Many farmers of Maharashtra sale the manure throughout the country.
- The indigenous goat breed (osmanabadi) of Maharashtra has higher reproduction rates.
- No religious taboos against goat meat consumption in Maharashtra.
- Goats needs low housing requirement than cattle.
- Goat plays a major role in income generation, employment generation, capital storage, and rural development in Maharashtra.
- Medicinal value and Low allergic problems in goat milk, Act as moving refrigerators.
- The two large ports ‘Nhava Sheva’ and ‘Mumbai port’ in a single state are the big advantage for exporting the goat meat to other countries. India is the second largest meat exporter in the world and Maharashtra play a big role in it.
- Goatskin is a very valuable product with high added value, especially in European markets.
- Goat starts production in 10 to 12 month of age its and Small gestation period is five months normally give two kids.
some more advantages
- The goat has the ability to double the capital in small time.
- The government gives loan easily for goat farming in Maharashtra.
- it is an important source of meat and milk, fiber and skin to the poor, landless and marginal farmers.
- Goat is a friendly animal and can be managed easily by woman or children.
- The farmers can make huge profit in festive season like Eid at Deonar Bakra Mandi in Maharashtra.
- The returns are quick, and losses, if any are recovered soon. The poor can afford it in raising goat.
- Zero input goat production system is changing to a more intensive commercial goat production system.
- goat is called the poor man’s cow.
- The goat has a great future in changing livestock scenario.
- The goat sector contributes Rs. 22,138 crores to the country’s livestock GDP through the meat (Rs. 11,932 crores), milk (Rs. 5,513 crores), skin (Rs. 800 crores) and manures (Rs. 1,594 crores). The Maharashtra state plays a major role in it.
- The goat has Less mortality percentage as compared to chicken.
- Monitoring and record keeping can be done easily.
Maharashtra ranks in goat population
In India the total population of the goat is 135.2 million, Maharashtra ranks 6th position in the population of goats in India and nearly 8.44 million goats are in Maharashtra. supplementing family incomes and generating gainful employment in the rural sector, particularly among the landless, small and marginal farmers.
Few farmers practice modern intensive goat production systems and benefited from the latest technologies such as high yield breed, modern irrigation system, mechanization, and readymade animal feed. Farmers manage to sell the goats at Religious holidays and Eid Occasion with a good price and gain good profits.
Further, goats are readily cashable at any time. Their adaptation to stall-fed conditions and the manure quality of their voidings add to their popularity among the farmers of Maharashtra.
Suitable breeds for goat farming in Maharashtra
sangamneri is the local breed and best suitable for goat farming in Maharashtra found in Ahmednagar, Nasik, and Pune. it is medium size goat and the average weight of the adult male is 35 to 40 kg. it is found in black, white and brown color. The ears are pendulous, and the horns are twisted, It is a dual purpose goat breed for milk and meat. The lactation period of the goat is 120 days.
Generally, osmanabadi is a meat purpose goat breed. This breed is found in Osmanabad and Ahmed Nagar district of Maharashtra. it well-heighted goat and the coat colour of this breed is black. The ears are pendulous and horns are twisted. The average weight of an adult male is 40 to 45 kg in stall feeding. this goat breed is largely used for goat farming in Maharashtra.
The other suitable goat breed can be raised under the climatic condition of Maharashtra are as follows:
- Jamunapari goat breed (Uttar pradesh)
- Jakhrana goat breed (Rajasthan)
- Malabari goat breed (kerala)
- Sirohi goat breed (Rajasthan)
- Sojat goat breed (Rajasthan)
- Jakhrana goat breed (Rajasthan)
- Malabari goat breed (kerala)
- Boer goat breed (Africa)
- Gohilawadi goat breed (Gujarat)
- Sannen goat breed (switzerland)
- Kutchi goat breed (Gujarat)
Commercial goat farming in Maharashtra
The climate condition is very good for goat rearing in Maharashtra. Now goat farming doesn’t remain goat farming it became an enterprise. Many entrepreneurs came forward to this business and becoming successful in less time in Maharashtra. It became a full-time business for people who think differently.
- Goat farming business in Maharashtra has a huge potential to grow and can make profit easily. There is a huge demand for good looking, aggressive and heavy goat (buck) on eid in Mumbai area and some buyers stand on a single leg and give lakh of rupees of single buck.
- In Mumbai and Pune near region area some people taking land on lease and set the commercial goat farm and generating good profit.
- Most of the area of the state has fertile agricultural land so not any problem of green and dry fodder if have own land.
- The goat farming is considered an important agricultural activity in Maharashtra especially in arid and semi-arid areas where pastureland is available and low intensive systems are present.
- The economic condition of goat farmers can be improved through commercial goat farming which will not only generate income for their livelihood but also contribute much to the nutritional and health security.
Goat Farming in Maharashtra Government Subsidy
There are numbers of Goat farms in Maharashtra that are taking the benefits of government subsidy. goat farming in Maharashtra Government subsidy is 50% subsidy is for schedule cast and for Tribes and 25% Subsidy is for General and OBC categories.
- Maharashtra has a typical monsoon climate with hot, rainy and cold weather seasons. Temperature varies between 22 degree Celsius to 39 degree Celsius, which is quietly good for the goat farming business many breeds can be rear with the local breed in Maharashtra.
- Goat housing is to keep the animals as much as possible under the thermal comfort zone so that productivity will be optimum and another reason to protect from predator attack.
- The housing shelter is to make keeping in view the number of animals needs to be housed.
- the housing includes the total cover and the open area of the paddock.
- The size of housing is calculated on the basis of the animal number and the space required per animal (i.e number of animal x area needed per animal.)
- In commercial goat farming Goat housing or shed is one of the most important part of the business. It is a one-time investment cost of the business,
- all the comfort and health of the animal depends on the type of shed. the shed should be clean and hygiene every time and the clean shed will be free from the disease.
Care and management of goat in commercial goat farming
- Ensure that they have access to enough feed of good quality.
- Ensure that they have access to clean water and Following a vaccination program against common diseases.
- Check the internal and external parasites under control
- Keeping sick goats separate so that disease does not spread to healthy goats
- Making sure that any goats introduced to the flock are disease-free
- Sheltering goats from adverse weather.
If a goat does get sick it needs to be treated. More importantly, it is important to keep a record
of goats that you treat because if a particular animal gets sick often, it should be culled as it is a
weak individual and is not only costing you money but is also passing on its genes to the next
generation.Basic care of pregnant goat
- The flock should not be overcrowded.
- The use of antibiotic should be low
- The feed and water should be clean and hygiene.
- Pregnant goat section in the farm should be separated and away from buck.
- The amount of concentrated feed should increase up to 200gm for pregnant goats.
Basic care of kids under 3 months of age
- During birth, time cut the naval and apply tincture iodine.
- Don’t overfeed the milk to the kid. It causes diarrhea
- Try to feed the milk 4 times a day according to the weight of the kid.
- After 15 to 20 days from birth start to feed with soft green leaves.
- Kids separate from adults
- Allow vaccination after 3 months from birth.
- Keep farm record from birth to adult.
Vaccination schedule of the goats
|Name of |
| First |
at age of
|PPR||3 months||Not required||3 years||1 ml|
|Goat Pox||3 to 5 months|| |
|1 year||1 ml|
|Foot & mouth disease||3 months||3- 4 weeks |
| 6 months or 1 Year|
|Enterotoxaemia (ET)||3 months||3- 4 weeks |
|6 months||2 ml|
|3 months|| 3- 4 weeks |
Post first vaccination
| 6 months or 1Year |
The major health issues in Goat Farming
- Internal Parasites
- Foot root
- Pneumonia contagious Ecthyma
”Don’t be afraid of being different, Be afraid of being the same as everyone else”unkown
if you wanna earn a decent income with Goat farming and you belong to Maharashtra than start your venture definitely you will earn good money with goat farming in Maharashtra. this is the Hub of Goat farming.