Silkie chicken is used for ornamental purpose. their Black Meat, Black Bones or Excellent look are the main features. it is originated in china.
The name silkie is given for their stunning plumage. Silkie chicken is mainly used for ornamental purpose. This breed is quite different in look. Silkie chicken has very light in weight but it is a good layer. This breed is originated in China the availability of this bird in China is very large in number as compared to other near regions.
Silkie has very different features. firstly they have a walnut comb, the color of the eggshell is cream. They have black color skin, meat, and bones similar to Indian Breed Kadaknath.
It is a very popular breed for ornamental purpose. Silkie is always Compared with Polish chicken in Exhibition.
The fluffy feather is silky in texture gives them a perfect look. This appearance of breed makes them standard breed fowl.
Silkie chicken Varieties
The breeds come in both bearded and non-bearded variety. Silkie is a very old breed The main breed of silkie which is firstly recognized by the American Poultry Association is white. All the variety has feathered on legs. the variety this breed depends up on Silkie chicken colors and its beard.
There is a total thirteen variety of silkie which is as follows:
| Admitted year
Silkie chicken Characteristics
In some region, it is called Bantam chicken because it is short in height or very light in weight. The whole body is covered with Silky hair. The behavior and temperament of silky are Docile, calm and friendly. they have all the qualities as a family pet.
Silkie is a very good mother and always show broodiness. It can be used as natural incubators. Silkie is capable of hatching eggs of other hens and Ducks.
The colour of skin, Comb, Meat and Bones are dark Black makes them different from other breeds. In Asia, it is famous for its Black Colour meat. Buyers have to p[ay extra money for their different colour meat. The meat of silkie is very high in demand in Asia.
Silkie Chicken Facts and Productivity
|Name of Breed
|Other Name of Breed
|silkie chicken Origin
|Docile, Calm and friendly.
White Bearded and Non-Bearded.
Blue Bearded and Non-Bearded
Black Bearded and Non-Bearded
Partridge Bearded and Non-Bearded
Buff Bearded and Non-Bearded
Gray Bearded and Non-Bearded
|1 kg to 1.3 kg (2.5 lbs to 3 lbs).
|0. kg (1.5 lbs)
|0.6 kg to 0.9 kg (1.5 lbs to 2 lbs).
|0.5 kg (1.2 lbs)
|Egg capacity per year
|Age at first Egg (days)
|White or Cream
upto 6 weeks
Appearance of Silkie chicken
It is a small breed or very light in weight which is shown in their profile. But the breed is very attractive in look because of their silky hair. Mainly the weight of hen remains under the two pound and cock weight remain under the three pounds in most cases.
The white color silkie is very adorable and fit for the family pet. This breed increases the attraction of the farm.
The comb is a walnut type, which is round in shape or small in size. It is black in color in all the varieties of Silkie
The Beak is black or slightly curved.
Wattles or ear lobes is very small or Black in color.
They have 5 number of toes which is very rare. Some breeds have 5 Toes.silkie has black color toe which is covered with their silky hair.
They have small fluffy tails the colour of tail vary variety to variety.
Shanks are covered with feather. Their skin color is black the eyes of silky is fully black.
Egg Production of Silkie chicken
Silkie is a prolific egg layer which lays up to 110 eggs per year by single hair during their egg laying period. They lay normally medium size eggs which weigh 50 g per egg. Generally, they start laying an egg at the age of 20th to 21st weeks.
The silkie hen is excellent mother and sister they always show broodiness and can be used to hatch eggs of other hens which not go broody.
Meat Production of silkie chicken
Silkie is a lightweight breed that gives a small amount of meat. the silkie chicken mea is black in color, their bones color is also black. The quality of black meat is that they have very less cholesterol and more protein as compared to other meat.
The meat is very fine or very delicious in the test. The black meat of silkie is very demanding in China, Indonesia, Malaysia or in other Asian countries.
Silkie is primarily used for ornamental purpose and secondary used for meat purpose.
The average standard weight of cock ranges between 1 kg to 1.3 kg (2.5 lbs to 3 lbs).
The average standard weight of Hen ranges between 0.6 kg to 0.9 kg (1.5 lbs to 2 lbs).
Space requirement for silkie
Silkie is small in size but they need large space. Because it is mainly used for exhibition or show they should not keep in deep litter system always kept them in a battery cage or in a ventilated wooden box.
Space they need in the house
|0.7 sq ft per bird
|1 sq ft per bird
|2 sq ft per bird
Care and management for the silkie chicken
- House should be well ventilated either you are kept in battery cage system or in a deep litter system.
- House should clean hygiene or disinfected twenty-four hours for better growth. Always should open area or backyard area for their freedom for better health.
- Follow the proper vaccination schedule for better immunity. a prior vaccine is better than cure. The silkie is susceptible to the Mareks’ disease or New castle disease are very dangerous. Always do vaccine for the cure of these two diseases.
- Silkie has so many hairs on their body. So be careful of the mites and ticks. Always do external or internal deworming every eight weeks for better growth.
- Provide them balanced nutritious feed which is packed with protein, carbohydrate, vitamins and minerals. Quality feed will give quality results.
Why choose Silkie?
Is silkie Good for your Farm?
- First of all, silkie is very beautiful in look. Widely used for ornamental purpose.
- It increases the beauty of your farm.
- They always show broodiness.
- Different color of meat and bones have extra demand in the People. Peoples always curious to try different.
- Silkie chicken is an excellent mother always caring for their chicks.
- Behavior is docile, calm and friendly. it can be easily handled by a child.
- Survivability in every climate is quite well.