Cochin is the Asiatic class breed. Mainly kept for Ornamental purpose. Cochin chicken is the heavy breed but has a loose feather. It is mainly originated in China after that imported to the united state in 1843. Now, this breed is available in the United States and Europe in large numbers. Now, this breed is available in every part of the world.
This breed came after Brahma for the meat purpose. Cochin are very calm, friendly in behavior, Beautiful in look, they have all the qualities for the family pet. It is one of the popular breed of western countries.
Cochin chicken recognized variety
There is six main recognized variety of cochin chicken which are:
- Gold laced
- Silver laced
Cochin Chicken Facts and Productivity
|Name of Breed||Cochin|
|Other Name of Breed||No|
|cochin chicken Origin||China|
|Disposition||Calm and Friendly|
|Cock weight||4.5 kg to 5 kg (10.5 lbs to 11 lbs).|
|Cockrel weight||4 kg (9 lbs)|
|Hen weight||4 kg to 4.3 kg (9 lbs to 9.5 lbs).|
|Pullet weight||3.2kg (7 lbs)|
|Egg capacity per year||180-190 eggs|
|Age at first Egg (days)||140-150|
|Egg weight||50-54 g|
|Survivability % upto 6 weeks||98|
Characteristics of Cochin Chicken
The mature Cochin chicken comes largely in size but has a very loose feather, the feather on shanks or sheds on hackle gives them a very beautiful look. That’s why it is mainly used for ornamental purpose. This breed performs quite good in a cold environment
Cochin hen is an excellent mother as well as sister, always shown broodiness and very calm in disposition. Chicks mature early and achieve very good weight at a short interval of time. The survivability is well under proper care and management. It gives rapid returns to its owner.
They give medium sized brown color eggs.
All the varieties are in single comb type, The only difference is plumage color otherwise size shape or body type are same. The comb has five to six vertically upright tip which is bright red in colors.
Plumage color depends on the variety of Cochin. Eyes are medium in size or bright red.
Beak is short or yellow.
Both head and neck is short or well proportioned.
Wattles are soft round from the bottom or equal in shape. Ear lobes are half of the wattles. Both wattles or ear lobes are red in color.
The tail is short or well spread gives them a very perfect look. Feather on shanks and toes.
Breast has deep, broad or thick large in size.
Meat Production of Cochin chicken
The cochin chicken size is large and this breed is hardy. Gives maximum returns to the flock owner. this breed is firstly used for exhibition purpose after that used for meat. Cochins are very productive when they raised under free-range or in Back yard.
The average Cochin chicken weight of the cock ranges between 4.5 kg to 5 kg (10.5 lbs to 11 lbs).
The average standard weight of Hen ranges between 4 kg to 4.3 kg (9 lbs to 9.5 lbs).
Cochin Chicken Egg production
Cochin chicken capacity for laying eggs is fair. Generally, they start laying eggs at the age of their 20th to 21st weeks. Normally it lays around 180 to 190 eggs in a year by single hen and lays up to the age of 70th weeks.
This breed lays medium sized brown color eggs which weigh around 50 to 54 g.
Health issues of Cochin chicken
- If kept cochin in a large number of the flock that there are chances of ectoparasites like lice, ticks or mites so do proper care and management don’t allow them outside during rainfall or save from going muddy.
- New castle disease, Marek’s disease, or Infectious Bursol disease are highly viral disease so prior vaccination is very much needed to avoid mortality.
- Debeaking is essential if keeping cochin in large number. It saves feed from wastage.
- For the maximum returns from the Cochin, all the above issues must be followed by the flock owner.
Care and management in the farm
- House of the birds should be clean or disinfected either you are keeping one bird or in a large number of birds.
- Don’t do overcrowding in the house if you are keeping a large number of birds. Overcrowding in the house brings a number of diseases.
- Feed to the layers or chicks is complete with all the nutrition, vitamins, minerals and proteins for the better grown and productivity.
- Maintain the temperature in the brooding house or in the layer house.
Why choose Cochin?
Is Cochin is Good for your Farm?
- Cochin chicken is Exhibition purpose breed which also increases the beauty of your farm.
- It is calm and friendly in behavior and has all the qualities of a family pet.
- No need for an incubator for a small flock. Cochin is good mother always show broodiness. Disposition is calm normally don’t fight with the sisters.
- This breed is very productive and gives rapid returns to the flock owner. Also, fulfill the nutrition requirement of the family with their medium sized brown color eggs.