Everyone wants to know Is Goat Farming Profitable Business? I will say Yes it is a profitable business because of the huge demand of Goat Meat.
Everyone wants to know Is Goat Farming Profitable Business? I will say Yes it is a profitable business because of the huge demand of Goat Meat. it is the tastier meat than any other and people of India Love to Eat Goat Meat.
Goat farming plays an important and vital role in providing nutritive food and in supplementing family incomes and generating gainful employment in the rural sector. it is a profitable business if done properly with management.
Particularly, Goat farming is a profitable business and it is one of the growing business in the whole world because its meat is tastier and the price of meat is more than other meat. it is consumed in large amount and its huge demand in the market, The market is more demanding in terms of requirements. goat rearing is for multipurpose, it is a good source of meat, milk, skin, and fiber. Goat can survive in any type of climate.
therefore, Goat farming has tremendous potential for income and employment generation, especially in rural areas. This sector is capable of changing the economy of rural areas if proper attention to be given.
Benefits in goat farming
Small body size, docile nature, high prolificacy, survives on low-grade ration and small gestation period are some important attributes of goat production.
Production of goat start in 10 to 12 months of age, it has a small gestation period, normally gives two kids in 5 months. The cost of six months of kids is normally 4 to 5 thousand also depend on its weight.
Goat milk possesses medicinal & health-promoting properties (CLA, Bioactive peptides, minerals, and vitamins), easy to digest because of the small size of fat globules and non-allergic.
Goat sector plays a major role in Indian Economy
- Contributes Rs. 38,000 crore (8.41%) to value of output from livestock sector (Rs. 46000 crores). According to livestock census.
- Increase in annual rural employment from 3.2% to 4.2% over the years
- Goat population rise from 95 million in 1982 to 140 million in 2007 and slightly gone down to 135 million in 2012.
- Production of goat meat increased from 0.324 Million Metric Tones in 1982 to 0.941 Million Metric Tonnes in 2012-13. (Estimated annual value Rs 22,800 crore at current price). According to livestock census.
- Production of goat milk increased from 1.07 Million Metric Tonnes in 1982 to 4.95 Million Metric Tonnes in 2012-13. (Estimated market value Rs 9500 crore)
- Skin production increased from 0.086 Million Metric Tones in 1966 to 0.17 Million Metric Tones in 2012-13 ( Rs.1491 crore) According to livestock census.
Is Goat farming profitable – yes it is but profit in goat farming depends on the following factors:
Goats should be housed to protect them from bad weather for example rain, sun and. Wind. Each
adult goat should be allowed a floor space of 1.5 square meters. The goats present on the farm should not be overcrowding, the disease in goat spread from one to another because of overcrowding. So proper Goat housing management is the key for a successful farm.
Farm should clean twice a day, feeder and drinker should be clean everytime.
Climatic data can be used as a guide for the type of housing, insulation, ventilation, and other factors that must be considered for proper goat housing.
The selection of Goat Breeds plays a major role in goat farming. All of your Business plans depend on the breed you select, so select the breed according to your region.
there are mainly 28 known goat breeds available in India. Some are the milk breeds and some are the meat breeds. But actually, the first priority of all goat is used for meats. The profitability depends upon the selection of Good Breed and it is the first step of your question is goat farming profitable.
Healthy feed to the goat gives good health to the animal. If you do not give enough feed to the goat then you can be in loss, so give proper green, dry and concentration feed to the goats. Approximately 60 percents of spent on the goat feed in commercial or stall feeding goat farming system.
sorghum (jowar), bajra (pearl millet), Moringa, azola, subabool, Lucerne (alfa alfa), hedgeLucerne , maize grass, cowpea, berseem, Napier grass (elephant grass), Guinea, anjan grass (beffel grass), dinanath grass, marvel grass, sewan grass, guar (cluster bean), methi grass (fenugreek) & tree leaves.
Concentration feed is the mixture of wheat, maize, rice bran, soy cake or any cake, mineral mixture and salt.
- concentrate Keep your animals healthy
- A healthy animal is more able to resist diseases and can recover more easily when it does get sick.
- A sick animal costs farmer money and time. A farmer with a sick animal has to buy medicines, syringes, and needles. It is better for a farmer if animals stay healthy and do not get sick.
- Treatment is also more successful if it is given early before the animal is so sick that the medicine can not help it.
Farmers need to be aware of common diseases that affect goats in their area and then follow an appropriate goat disease and treatment vaccination programme.
Vaccination is only possible for certain diseases. With these diseases, you can give the healthy animal an injection that will stop it from contracting a particular disease.
vaccination in goats plays a major role in goat farming all of the profit depends on the herd health if the goat will be healthy than the profit will be more. So on the farm, all the vaccination done on time to time depends on its schedule. All medication should available on the farm every time.
- It is important to take good care of kids so as to reduce mortalities and improve kid growth rate.
- A reduction in kid mortality translates into an increase in flock size and consequently the increase in takeoff in the profit.
- The kidding area should be clean with dry bedding, The doe may be kept in the kidding area for a few days before kidding.
- Keep the kid separate from the adult goats.
- Cut the navel of a kid after birth and apply tincture iodine or potassium permanganate.
- Feed colostrums to the kid after birth in between 1 hour.
- spread the lime powder in the kid section every week.
- Kid section should be hygiene.
- Place the dry fodder or straw on the floor or bedding of kid so kids can not taste the soil.
Strengths of goat farming
- Improves biological diversity.
- Is hundreds-years-old tradition and a culture.
- Is a chain in natural balance.
- Goat products are very important for community health.
- The products obtained from goats contribute on national economy.
- Goat products are organically popular.
- Goat milk is the nearest milk to human milk in terms of vitamin and mineral content
- Is the main nutrition and income source for people living especially near forests and mountain villages
- They can take advantages of damaged pasture areas because of their superior physical and grazing talents
- They eat many silages which other animals don’t eat and transform them into animal products.
- There is a new structuring hope in goat farming.
- The increase expectation for the demand for goat milk and products.
- They decrease the risk of forest fires by controlled grazing implementations.
- Goat farming is very important for rural development and economic activity diversity.
- We know that goat milk and products are very beneficial for health.
- There is an expectation about selling goat milk and products in the future with high prices.
- it has the potential for organic stock farming.
- There is cooperation for solving the problem with socio-economical and scientific approaches
When one takes goat farming as a business, the major objective is to make a profit. One can make a profit by providing a quality product that meets the market requirements. Therefore in simple terms, marketing is identifying the needs of the customers/ buyers and then supply a product (goats) that meets the required needs in the right quantities at the right time and place.
Understanding goat marketing
- Buyers require goats of different ages, size, breeds, etc. Some buyers such as the local traders are much concerned about the size while some buyers on festivals (eid, holi, Durga puja) require quality i.e. aggressive, tall good looking buck.
- Some of the specific goat markets are individual traders, abattoirs, NGOs, ethnic groups and export market.
In the goat business, the products that we can sell to the market are live goats, goat meat, skins, milk, and manure.
- It is also important for farmers to be able to plan their production so that they consistently supply the required quantities at specified time intervals (e.g. 250 slaughter goats every month). This is key in business as this helps towards building longstanding and mutually beneficial (win-win) relationships with your buyers.
- When we start our goats to organized high-value markets, we need to plan our production and logistics to meet the market requirements
All Non-vegeterian People know the value of goat meat but before starting commercial goat farming they want to is goat farming profitable business. yes, it is profitable if done in the right way. The Following factors like Goat Housing, Goat Feeding Disease management and other management you have to keep in mind before starting. you can also take the proper Goat Farming training to learn more about goat farming.