Brahma is the large-heavy breed. it is the Asiatic class breed. it is developed in the 1800s in Shanghai, China. Further, it was imported in the US and UK in the 1850s. The name Brahma came from the river ‘Brahmaputra’ which flows from China to India. Firstly it is known from the name Brahmaputra later it knows as Brahma. Brahma chicken is the Meat purpose breed because it is very good at the weight and active in nature.
It is also used for ornamental purpose because its feather on shanks gives them a very beautiful look. The egg-laying capacity of the breed is medium.
It is a Pea Comb type breed. There are three varieties of Brahma which is:
Facts and Productivity of Brahma chicken
|Name Of Breed||Brahma|
|Other Name of Breed|| |
|Disposition||Calm and active|
|Comb type||Pea comb|
|Main color||White with Black Hackle.|
|Cock weight||5 kg to 5.4 kg (11 lbs to 12 lbs).|
|Cockrel weight||3.1 kg (7 lbs)|
|Hen weight||4 kg to 4.3 kg (9 lbs to 9.5 lbs).|
|Pullet weight||2.6 kg (5.8 lbs)|
|Egg capacity per year||130-140 eggs|
|Age at first Egg (days)||140-150|
|Egg weight||55 – 58 g|
|Feather on Shank||Yes|
|Survivability % upto 6 weeks||99|
Characteristics of Brahma Chicken
All the varieties are beautiful in look wise also used for exhibition. The breed is calm and active with good foraging ability. Show broodiness and its excellent mother.
Brahma is the large heavy meat purpose breed with hard feathers. Well, height and width or Fair egg production make it perfect breed from all the sides.
The survivability of Brahma is quite good in each and every climate conditions. Because it is good in weight, it is sold according to per kg weight and it gives maximum returns to the flock owner.
It gives Large size and rich brown color eggs. It performs well in free-range or in the backyard.
Appearance of Brahma
The light Brahma is one of the most popular in all the varieties. the plumage of light Brahma is white except hackle and tail. Hackle and tail plumage is black in color. The light Brahma looks great and mostly used for exhibition.
The breed takes time to mature and it is one of the large in size in all the breeds.
All the breeds have Pea comb type. The shanks are well feathered up to toe.
Both hen and cock have large Ear lobes which are bright red in color. But the wattles of cock are medium in size while hens have small wattles. Colour of wattles are bright red in both cock and hen.
Breast is broad, rounded and deep.
Neck and back are well curved like an egg. Head is large or medium in length. Well, the curved yellowish beak of two inches in length.
Tail is black well spread medium in length makes an angle of 45º.
Meat production of Brahma chicken
It is mainly used for meat Purpose. the chicken breast is very good at weight as a comparison to other bread. Feed intake of Brahma is more than others that’s why it is good at weight gain.
Brahma chicken is very prolific in meat production. Its large size gives a Large amount of meat. It is one of the profitable breeds which perform very good in free range.
The average standard weight of light Brahma cock ranges between 5 kg to 5.4 kg (11 lbs to 12 lbs).
The average standard weight of light Brahma Hen ranges between 4 kg to 4.3 kg (9 lbs to 9.5 lbs).
some cocks and hens at good quality feed and pure bloodline achieve more than the average standard weight.
The egg production capacity of Brahma is also fair. Generally started laying eggs at the age of 20th week. It gives large size or rich brown color eggs. Normally it gives 130 to 140 eggs per year per hen. 3 – 4 eggs in a week.
The weight of hen at first egg is approximately noted 2 to 3 kg. Normally the weight of first is noted 55 – 58 g.
Mostly Brahma chicken raised in free range. there is a problem of Endo-parasites in free range. for the Endo – parasites do de-worming in every eight weeks for the better results and growth.
The prior vaccine of New castle disease, Infectious bursal disease (IBD) is a must for this breed.
Special care for Brahma
- House should be well ventilated for the fresh air circulation. Don’t keep them in a wooden box.
- Spray the sanitizers in every 4 days to clean and disinfect the living place of birds.
- Debeaking the birds for the restriction the wastage of feed.
- This breed performs good at cold region but at the access to cold weather maintain the temperature provide them heat by electric bulb in the house.
- Follow the proper vaccination schedule for better results.
Why choose Brahma?
Is Brahma good for your farm?
- The breed performs better in free-range or in the backyard. They show good broodiness or excellent mother.
- Behavior is docile, calm and active. Foraging ability is quite good.
- Also used for ornamental purpose and the Brahma is very good in appearance. It gives an extraordinary look to your farm. The light Brahma looks very beautiful on the green grass.
- Very good at meat production also a very good egg-laying capacity. It provides good profit to the flock owner as well as fulfill the nutrition requirement of the family.
- Survivability is well in every type of environmental condition.