Cornish chicken is class breed. which is manily used for meat pupose. also known from other name call indian game fowl. it lays around 170 eggs in a year.
Cornish is the English class breed. Cornish chicken is originated in Shire county of Cornwall England before 1843. This breed is accepted by the American Poultry Association in 1893. It is the meat purpose breed mainly used for their ultimate Meat. Its capacity to laying eggs is fair.
The Cornish is the cross result of Lord derby black breasted red game and Indian fighter Aseel imported from India. The pure parental bloodline came in Cornish. That’s why it is an aggressive game bird.
The breed is also known from the name Indian Game, Cornish game. The American Poultry Association named it ‘‘Indian Cornish game’’.
The Cornish has full deep, broad breasts which has heavy meat body. There is a big contribution of Cornish chicken in development of commercial broiler industry. cornish chicken lifespan is 8 to 10 years, it requires extra care at this age.
Facts and Productivity of Cornish Chicken
|Name of Breed||Cornish|
|Other Name Of Breed||Indian game,
Indian Cornish game.
|cornish chicken Origin||England|
white laced red.
|Cock weight||4.5 kg to 4.8 kg (10 lbs to 10.5 lbs).|
|Cockrel weight||3.8 kg (8.5 lbs)|
|Hen weight||3 kg to 3.6 kg (7.5 lbs to 8 lbs).|
|Pullet weight||2.8 kg (6.5 lbs)|
|Egg capacity per year||150-170 eggs|
|Age at first Egg (days)||150-155|
|Egg weight||50-55 g|
up to 6 weeks
Cornish Chicken recognized Varieties
All the recognised variety of cornish chicken has Pea comb type. There are particularly four recognized variety by APA in which Dark and White are quietly popular.
- White Cornish accepted by APA in 1898.
- Dark Cornish accepted by APA in1893
- Buff accepted by APA in 1938
- White Laced red accepted by APA in1909.
Characteristics of Cornish Chicken
Cornish has an attractive well-muscled body fit for the game fowl. Leg of Cornish is widely spaced very well thick. It is game fowl so obviously aggressive in behavior. But they are very good mother always protective for their kids and it is rarely go broody because of their short feathers they cover fewer eggs.
Cornish has a large compact body comes in the heavy breed. Crosses of Cornish is quite good at weights and largely used for commercial broiler poultry production. They have short feather closely attached to the body.
Appearance of Cornish chicken
The Appearance of Cornish is quite attractive. Generally, Cornish has a tight, thick and muscular body.
Beak is yellow or slightly curved in all the variety
All the verities have medium sized pea comb on the crown. They have thick legs, full deep, broad breasts and large thighs.
Wattles and earlobes are small in size or in red color and smooth in texture. The eyes are red/yellow.
Tail is short and closely feathered. Plumage is narrow short and close.
The beak is medium, convex shaped.
Shank and toes free from feathers or yellow in color. Toes are four.
Hens are lighter in weight compared to cock. cornish chicken size comes under the categories of heavy size chicken.
Meat production of Cornish chicken
Cornish is very good in meat production, it gives high-quality meat for us. The world’s most consumable broiler meat we are eating today is the cross of Cornish chicken. The meat of Cornish is very tight and thick.
Cornish has large legs, deep broad breasts and thick legs.
The average standard weight of cock ranges between 4.5 kg to 4.8 kg (10 lbs to 10.5 lbs).
The average standard weight of Hen ranges between 3 kg to 3.6 kg (7.5 lbs to 8 lbs).
Egg production of Cornish chicken
Cornish is fair in egg production. Generally, it laying eggs at the age of their 21st weeks and lays around 150 to 170 eggs per year per hen. And it continuously lay up to their 68th weeks. The weight of the egg noted 50 to 55 g approximately.
Cornish chicken egg color is brown, generally, it lays medium size eggs. Which fulfill the nutrition requirement of the family of the flock Owner also generates a good profit from their eggs.
Care, management and health issue of Cornish chicken
- There is quite a good value of Cornish chicken. To increase their growth and decrease the mortality and morbidity prior vaccination is very much needed for the large flock as well for a small flock.
- Chickens are susceptible to New castle disease, Marek’s disease and IBD (infectious Bursol Disease). For the better immunity of birds vaccine of this disease is very much needed.
- Maintain dry, hygiene and clean environment in house for better growth.
- Cornish has short feather they need extra protection and heat in a cold environment.
- Poor fertility is noted in Cornish chicken therefore artificial mating or insemination is needed in case of Cornish.
- House should be well ventilated for cross-contamination or flow of fresh air.
- Cornish has short feather because of that they can cover fever eggs so incubator is very much needed for increasing production of chicks.
Pros and cons of Cornish chicken
- Meat quality is very good
- Can be use as a game purpose
- Fair egg layer
- Attractive look.
- Good in weight
- Medium egg size
- Good mother
- Aggressive behavior
- Rarely show broodiness
- Short feather
- Rarely go broody
- Need large space
Why choose Cornish?
Is Cornish good for your farm?
- It is one of the profitable breed which has huge demand for their meat.
- Survivability percentage is well in any type of environment
- Fulfill the nutrition requirement of family
- This breed gives a quick return.
- It can also be used as a game purpose